You can make a difference in the lives of those living with the effects of mental illness.
Your contribution to Prosper Place will be put to use immediately to assist with:
- Supplies, equipment
- Facility upkeep
- New program initiatives
- Special projects
- Ongoing operating support
ABOUT MENTAL ILLNESS
Who is affected?
- Mental illness indirectly affects all Canadians at some time through a family member, friend or colleague.
- One in four Albertans will be affected by a mental illness in their lifetime.
- Mental illness affects people of all ages, educational, income levels, and cultures.
- Lost productivity due to mental illlness costs Canadian business more than $6 billion annually.
How common is it?
- Schizophrenia affects 1% of the Canadian population.
- Anxiety disorders affect 5% of the household population, causing mild to severe impairment.
- Suicide accounts for 24% of all deaths among 15-24 year olds and 16% among 25-44 year olds.
- Alberta has the second highest suicide rate in Canada.
Sources: The Report on Mental Illness in Canada, October 2002. EBIC 1998 (Health Canada 2002), Stephens et al., 2001 Alberta Mental Health Board, Mental Health Needs of Albertans select factors and Findings, December 2007 http://www.mentalhealthresearch.ca, Mental Health Commission of Canada